History of the Lamartine Volunteer Fire Department
By Joe Birschbach, Fire Chief
The Lamartine Volunteer Fire Department was organized on June 2nd, 1953. At that time the fire department occupied the building now occupied by Bruni Plumbing located on County Highway Y about one block west of our current building. In 1955, the fire department purchased two International fire trucks. The total cost of the new trucks and equipment was $13,580.
On April 30th, 1957, the first discussion was started about either adding on to the fire station or building a new station at a different location. On October 21st, 1958 the department voted to buy the land we now occupy. Also at that time the fire department started a petition to have a road constructed to connect County Highway Y to Highway 151. That road is now Schaefer Drive. In April of 1962, plans were presented for the new fire station at the Town of Lamartine annual meeting and construction started in July 1962. An open house of the new fire station was held in March of 1963. The cost of the new fire station was $14,709. The new fire station was also used for town meetings, it was rented out for family gatherings, and rented to other organizations that needed a place to meet.
In the late 1980’s as fire fighting continued to change, the fire department added a brush truck and a second tanker to meet its needs. Due to space limitations the fire station was no longer rented out and equipment was moved outside for town functions. In 1993, a new pumper was added which worsened our crowded conditions. In September of 1999, a vote was passed to build a new community center/fire station. In April of 2000, the old fire station was dismantled to make room for the new building we dedicated on October 1st, 2000.
The Township of Lamartine would like to thank all the people who have volunteered their time and skills over the past 55 years.